Sunday 4 November 2012

Beeston Charter Night

On Monday 29th October Rtn John Norreys picked me up and we went to the Novotel at Long Eaton for the Charter Celebrations of The Rotary Club of Beeston.   I joined  President Trevor Martin and his other guests for a drinks reception before the meal.  From the start of the evening I was feeling a little unwell but was determined to see the evening out.

The Novotel's service and the quality of the meal was very good.  I enjoyed my chicken liver parfait followed by pork, with Apple tart for afters.

Nick Doughty the Club Secretary did the roll call of clubs and Chris Elkin gave greetings on behalf of all visiting clubs.

The Club's President Elect, David Biggs proposed the toast the Rotary International, to which I responded bringing greetings from the RI President Sakuji Tanaka.     I then proposed the toast to the Rotary Club of Beeston which was now celebrating the 73rd anniversary of the grant of its charter.

There were no major speakers during the evening, instead after the break some extremely pleasant entertainment was provided by a group of four musicians called "Formosa"  two of whom played during the meal. Unfortunately as the evening went on my feeling of being unwell developed and I had to leave early.  Not even a hot toddy supplied by the hotel manager had the desired effect, which was a great shame as the format for the latter part of the evening was a very informal one with fellowship between Rotarians and guests being the order of the day.

A good night's sleep should hopefully bring me back to my normal state of health.

Thanks to all at Beeston for my invitation and the welcome  I received.  Thanks also to John Norreys for taking me and for leaving early to take me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment