Saturday 2 February 2013

A Funeral and a Club visit 31st January 2013.

This morning I attended the funeral of Rotarian John Richardson that took place at St. Mary's Church at Likeston.   John died at the age of 65.  I knew John reasonably well from my connections with his Club, The Rotary Club of Ilkeston.   Judging from the number of people packed into the church  (standing room only) he was a much loved and respected member of the community.

I have now attended the funerals of ten Rotarians this Rotary year and am hoping that there will be no more.  

John will be very much missed by his club, where his big personality always shone through.

In the evening I had the pleasurable task of introducing someone to the benefits of Rotary.    Some time ago I received a call from a Rotarian on the Isle of Wight recommending a friend of his in Chesterfield as a prospective member.

Having made suitable arrangements I went over to Chesterfield picked him up and took him to Chesterfield Scarsdale's weekly meeting.  The individual was Alexis Diouf, a local councillor who originated from Senegal.   He was warmly received by the Scardale members and seemed to have really good night.   Let's hope it wasn't a wasted journey and that Alexis joins us very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment