Monday 25 February 2013

Rotary Day 23rd February

Today being Rotary Day, I joined up with other members of my own club, Belper and Duffield and spent a couple of hours in the local Co-oper Supermarket collecting on behalf of the End Polio Now campaign, giving away the pin-on crocuses, bookmarks and the new Rotary newspaper.     Generally speaking people seemed very inclined to give.

Not sure how much we made by the end of the day, but around £200 would be a reasonable estimate.

In the evening we joined members of the Rotary Club of West Ashfield, their President Peter and members for their annual Charter dinner.  It was held at their usaul venue, The Derbyshire Hotel at South Normanton.  Formalities were at a minimum with just a roll call of clubs, a very short talk by President Peter and a slightly longer one by me.

I trust that the club had done a risk assessment beforehand because during the meal we found my menu card had caught fire on one of the tee light candles.  Was this a message to me about my impending speech I wonder?

The evening was rounded off in fine style by a vocal group, four young ladies by the name of "Another Dimension" who I would heartily recommend.


Thanks to everyone at the club who made Gail and I so welcome and to Rtn. John Horwood of my own club for acting as my driver for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment