Sunday 20 January 2013

Back Home to Belper 7th January

Well, what should have been my first official visit of the Rotary year, turned out to be my last one instead.   I was booked to attend my own club, Belper and Duffield on Monday 2nd July but owing to some unforeseen circumstances the date was cancelled.  The first free Monday I had after that was 7th January.

As the vast majority of members had already heard my club talk, about "Peace Through Service" and the history of the origami crane, I decided instead to talk in general terms about the first six months of my years in office.

It was an excellent opportunity to thanks the club members for the support and assistance they have all so readily given to me as I approached my year in office and more so during the first six months of it.

I was also privileged during the evening to be given the opportunity to induct a new member into the club.     That was a friend that  Gail and I had known for many years, Eileen Murphy.

Eileen who was proposed for membership by Gail, lives at Swanwick and has just retired from working for the Derbyshire County Council.  She now feels that she has the time and energy to devote to becoming a Rotarian.      She has been to a number of club functions previously and I am sure she will soon feel at home at the Belper and Duffield Club.

With a couple of other prospective members and a visitor from the Derby Club present, it turned out to be a very lively and interesting evening.

Rotarian Eileen with her proposer, Rotarian Gail

Add captioPresident Graham with Rtn Eileen and myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment