Tuesday 21 August 2012

Derby South 21st July

The evening meeting today was at the Grange Banqueting Suite at Littleover, Derby, the home of The Rotary Club of Derby South.  Their meeting is an early evening one with a 6.15pm start - so a nice early finish and a short drive home.

Rtn Alan Widdowson from my club picked me up and drove to the club where we were warmly greeted by President John Cavey and lots of the other members of the club.   It was explained that attendance was somewhat down this evening, mainly as a result of members being on holiday whilst others were absent due to Ramadan.

A most tasty meal of soup (with extra portions) followed by roast chicken was served, followed by a few club notices.  After this I gave my talk to the club, based on the theme for the year, "Peace through Service", during which  I presented President John with an origami crane and a letter from the RI President Sakuji Tanaka.

After the vote of thanks the meeting closed at 8pm.

I would like to thank President John for his generosity and hospitality and the members of the club for the genuine warmth of their welcome to myself and Alan.  I would also like to thank Alan for acting as my chauffeur for the evening.

DG Dave presenting President John with origami crane

No comments:

Post a Comment