Sunday 12 August 2012

End of Olympics 12th July

Have just finished watching the closing ceremony of the Olympic Games and thought that it was fantastic.   I found it quite touching when the flame was finally extinguished.     Earlier in the evening in company with Gail, I had attended the Marehay Methodist Church, Ripley where the Immediate Past President of the Rotary Club of Ripley (and current District Sergeant at Arms) had organised a Songs of Praise evening.

It was held to celebrate the seventeen years that he has been driving a number of ladies to this church as a volunteer driver for Amber Valley Community Transport and to raise funds for the church.

In the congregation were members of the Rotary Clubs of Ripley, Amber Valley, Alfreton, Clay Cross and Wirksworth, as well as my own, Belper and Duffield.  Apologies to any that I may have missed - I am sure you will tell me if I did.

Mrs Lee with DG Dave

Memorabilia of the last 100 years

Rtn Owen Briggs
The theme of the evening was the last 100 years and this was done to celebrate the 100th birthday of one of the ladies that he regularly transports to church.    Mrs Vera Lee was one hundred years old just over a week ago and is still a regular member of the congregation.     Whilst talking to her after the service it emerged that she could remember my mum who was born a year before her in the same village of Codnor.   She well recalled my mum's parents' shop, "Kensit's" in the village.

Congratulations to Vera on her birthday and I am sure we all wish her many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment