Monday 15 October 2012

Church Wilne _ DG Visit - 15th October

After a day working for a living I was collected from home at 5.30pm by Rotarian Martin Drake, acting as my driver for the evening, to take me to the Rotary Club of Church Wilne.   They meet at the Royal Oak at Ockbrook at 6pm for a 6.30pm start.

Chaired by their President, Derek Sheehy-Smith the meeting started on time and after a well prepared meal of lamb the business of the club was quickly and efficiently conducted by President Derek.   I was then invited to address the club which I had pleasure to do.

I spoke about the Rotary International theme for 2012 - 2013, "Peace through Service" - an excellent theme that no-one can disagree with.   I presented President Derek with a Origami Crane - a symbol of a "hope for peace" and a letter from RI President Sakuji Tanaka, which he duly read out to the 34 club members present.

President Derek with his Origami Crane (and the DG)
After a short spot of photography Martin and I made our way back to Belper, where we were just in time to hear the presentations by the Groups Study Exchange (GSE) Team from Nepal.   Present at the Belper meeting were Rotarians from the Rotary Clubs of Heanor, Ilkeston, and Amber Valley - including all the hosts of the Team - as well as the Chairman of The Nepal Trust (UK) - a Rotarian from Somerset - whose name escapes me at present.

Many clubs in District 1220 are presently engaged in Projects with Nepal and I would like to see a presentation of these projects at the next District Council meeting on 11th December at The Novotel, Long Eaton.


 GSE TEam with local Rotarians
Rotarian Nugal with President Graham (Belper & Duffield) and President David (Amber Valley)
Many thanks to Martin for acting as my driver, to President Derek from Church Wilne for the hospitality of his club and to the GSE Team for their presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment