Tuesday 24 July 2012

Ashbourne, Hucknall and kids 24th July


Well, today has been a really hot day with temperatures up at about 28c.   The day started off for Gail and me, with all four of our grandchildren coming for the day so that we (well Gail really) could babysit.   By the time that Rtn Peter James collected me at 11.50am I was ready for any excuse to have some "child free time".  Just hope Gail copes for the rest of the day.

l to r - Sebastian, Francesca, Xanthe and Madeleine

My lunchtime meeting today was at Callow Hall, Mappleton, a hotel / restaurant  set in a really beautiful area of Derbyshire, where the Rotary Club of Ashbourne meet.   After a refreshing drink on arrival we went through to the dining room for lunch and the meeting.    President Chris Hornblower proved to be an excellent host and indeed Peter and I were made to feel really welcome.

Club members enjoying a joke
The bell presented by Mother Club, Derby to mark Ashboure's 21st birthday

President Chris with DG Dave
After my talk photographs were taken to record the occasion.

After spending the afternoon with grandchildren again - picking peas and broad beans on my allotment - early evening saw me off again whilst Gail held a District International Committee meeting at home.  This time I was off  to The Rotary Club of Hucknall at their meeting at The Horse and Groom in Linby, a delightful, Nottinghamshire village - famous for its "locks" that apparently were bombed by the German air force in Word War II.   Rtn David Harris took driving duties for this evening.

Hucknall appeared to be a club with a fairly wide age range - so nice to see younger people in our membership.   President Ian proved to be an excellent host and both David and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit.    With two past District Governors in the audience I was pleased that my talk to the club seemed to be well received.

Many thanks to President Chris (Ashbourne) and President Ian (Hucknall) for their friendship and hospitality.  My thanks also particularly go to Peter James and David Harris of my own club for providing me with transport.
Members of Hucknall Club

President Ian reading out letter from RI President Sakuji

DG Dave addressing the meeting.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you DG Dave for your visit this evening. It was a pleasure to welcome and receive you at our Club. Best wishes for a successful year as DG

    ReplyDelete