Tuesday 31 July 2012

Sherwood Sunrisers and Trent Bridge 31st July

Well, this is the last day of my first month as DG and my visit to Trent Bridge this evening was my 28th Club visit since the start of the Rotary year.      The day however started - very early - with a 5am wake-up call ready for the trip to the  Rotary Club of Sherwood Sunrisers.    I have never seen such a happy bunch of people so early in the morning - it's frightening.

Sunrisers start the day with a coffee, which I have to say went down really well, followed by the business of the day and then the speaker.    I delivered my talk and after photographs etc we all went and had a serve yourself breakfast, which I have to say was very nice.     After breakfast, with everyone refreshed, there was an opportunity for any final business before the final Rotary toast taken by all present with a glass of water.

Between arriving home from Sunrisers and setting off for Trent Bridge, with President Graham Wright of the Rotary Club of Belper and Duffield, I spent the whole day, preparing my first monthly newsletter, answering emails and generally catching up (again) with Rotary matters.

Graham and I set off for the Trent Bridge meeting, being held at the Country Cottage Hotel at Ruddington at 6pm, arriving just before 7pm.    After welcoming drinks in the bar we made our way through to the restaurant for the meal and meeting at 7.30pm.

It was great to see some young people in this club, mixing freely with the "more mature" members.   After some club business I delivered my talk to the club about this year's theme of  "Peace through Service".   Afterwards several members asked questions of a general Rotary nature that I did my best to answer - hopefully to their satisfaction.

Quite a bit of discussion then followed about the club's annual Duck Race which is due to be held as part of the Riverside Festival at Nottingham on Sunday.    I shall be attending to see the ducks sailing serenely down the Trent and also having a quick look at what else is on offer at the Festival.


Breakfast at Sunrisers

President kevin - Sherwood Sunrisers
President Rick, Trent Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment