Thursday 12 July 2012

Visit to Swad - 12th July

The last of my club visits for this week was to the Rotary Club of Swadlincote - or "Swad" as it is affectionately known by the locals.      With Rtn Peter James as my driver for the evening we set off in bnright sunshine and arrived in plenty of time - in fact we were the first there at the Club's normal venue, The Lakeside at Moira.

As members arrived I was able to say hello to most of them, including Rotarian Kim Coe whose name immediately struck me as being familiar because I had written to her and to her husband Rob, just a few days earlier welcoming them as new Rotarians in the District.

Swadlincote Club is not a large club, with just 20 members including Kim and Rob, who incidentally were both recruited as a result of the Rotary Showcase event held in the town centre a few weeks ago.

During the meeting I learned that another new member was being inducted next week - so many congratulations to President Terry and the members for their hard work - it is paying off.

After a very tasty meal with a choice of sweets (I had the healthy option of course)  and a couple of items of business I was invited to address the club.    the subject of my talk was the Rotary theme for this year, "Peace through Service" and afterwards I was thanked for the "refreshing" nature of the talk.

The meeting closed about 8.45pm.

My thanks go to Peter James for providing the door to door service, to President Terry de la Fuente and the members of the club for looking after us both so well.    I am already lookingforward to joining up with them again in a more informal situation.

Saturday is the fist Rotary in Britainand Ireland General Council Meeting of the Rotary year at which I am required to be present.    I shall  be starting the club visits again on Monday next week.


President Terry with DG Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment