Thursday 19 July 2012

Derby Daybreak and Clay Cross 19th July

I didn't seem to have been in bed five minutes - actually I had slept for five hours - when the alarm woke me at an unearthly hour to go to the meeting of the Rotary Club of Derby Daybreak.   As I was a few minutes early I even had time to send a few texts whilst I waited.  The Club's venue is the Roundhouse on Pride Park at Derby.  It is a magnificent restored railway building that has been carefully added to to combine old and new technologies and a great place to meet, not least because the breakfasts here are so cheap (don't tell anyone though)
The meeting underway

There were about 14 or 15 members present, including President Clark Field and we spend the first part of the meeting on the ground floor in the main "Roundhouse".  Once we had all eaten we moved upstairs to a meeting room.   The usual club business was discussed and then I talked to the club about President Sakuji Tanaka's dream of "Peace Through Service" during which I presented President Clark with an origami crane and a letter from Sakuji.
President Clark and myself

The meeting broke up about 8.25am, allowing me just enough time to drive back to The Strutt School, Belper where I presented Year 5 children with certificates for successfully completing the Cycle Proficiency Course.   This training is organised in several local Schools by my club, Belper and Duffield.   Rotarian John Scotney who was the organiser and chief trainer for this school's event was also present.

Children with their certificates
I then had some free time till 2pm till David Pedlar arrived for a scheduled meeting with me to decide the format, layout and content of the District Conference brochure.   (These things don't just happen - they have to be planned.)

At 6.30pm I set off  for an evening meeting of the Rotary Club of Clay Cross.  Once again Rtn Peter James had volunteered to drive me this evening and once again it was raining.   We arrived a few minutes early at the Higham Farm Hotel and had a soft drink in the bar waiting for the club members to arrive.   We then went through into the restaurant where the meeting was being held this evening.  (The club's usual venue being unavailable owing to a wedding)

Clay Cross club is one of the few clubs that has a three course meal, though in deference to my waistline I just accepted a starter and a main course.   The food was excellent as indeed was the friendship shown to me round the table.   President Rtn Elect Cheryle Berry, who I sat next to seemed to me to be an absolutely inspirational person, with boundless energy and enthusiasm.    

President Neil Greatorex presided over the meeting with calm and a good humour.    I delivered my talk to the club and presented an origami crane and a letter from our international President, Sakuji Tanaka, to him.   I was thanked by Neil for my talk.

During the meeting it was announced that a volunteer for the post of Vice President had come forward.  That was Rtn Bob Adams.  Congratulations to Bob and to the club.   I wish them all my best for the forthcoming year.

My thanks to the club for their hospitality and welcome and to Rtn Peter James for acting as my driver yet again.


Vice President Bob, President Elect Cheryle, myself and President Neil
One more club to visit tomorrow, bringing the total Club visits in the first three weeks to eighteen - just forty left.  Also tomorrow a meeting with the Assistant Governors at my house, partly business and partly social.



No comments:

Post a Comment