Thursday 30 August 2012

Rotary Clubs of Bolsover and Eckington & District 29th August 2012

This evening I attended the weekly meeting of The Rotary Club of Bolsover, held at the Ringwood Hall Hotel.   Members of the Rotary Club of Eckington (Joint Presidents Jake Jackson and Tony Dungworth) were also present.   Rtn John Norreys from RC of Belper and Duffield was acting as my driver for the night.
 
Having set off in plenty of time and encountering very little traffic en route we arrived at the venue a little early and so settled down in the bar for a quiet drink.   The Ringwood Hall Hotel is an impressive building in grounds that are very well maintained.
 
Club members soon started arriving and introducing themselves to us, making us both feel very welcome.  The meeting, chaired by President Leigh Holland started at 7.30pm we we served a most tasty meal of roast beef with the usual trimmings.  After the meal and a couple of items of Club business I addressed the two clubs, talking about the theme of "Peace through Service".  I presented each President with an origami crane and a signed letter from the RI President Sakuji Tanaka.
 
My thanks to President Leigh and all the other Rotarians present for their hospitality and for making us feel so welcome.    Thanks also to Rtn. John Norreys for acting as my driver for the evening.
 
On arrival back at home, I turned on the TV to catch some of the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games.  I was surprised and delighted to see an old friend of District 1220 performing at the ceremony.   Denise Leigh, a blind opera singer was one of the stars of the show.  Denise has previously performed at several District 1220 events, including a prestigious  fund raising concert held at Derby Cathedral about four years ago.  I shall be writing to Denise to congratulate her on her performance last night.
 
Tomorrow will see me practising my golf swing (I'm not a golfer) in preparation for the Golf Competition at the District Conference.
 
President Leigh receiving origami crane and letter from DG Dave
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment