Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Day Three from Belper to Long Eaton 5th May

Feeling a bit stiff this morning, but determined to get to the end, we started at Belper with my daughters Nicola and Sarah, respective husbands Chris and Craig and two grandchildren Xanthe and Sebastian there to see us off and to walk out of Belper with us. (Three year old Xanthe was determined to ask for money from everyone we saw)   In company with Owen, Kevin, Andy, Phil, John Hill and Owen Blackwell (Heanor) we all set off over the hill at Openwoodgate down to Kilburn and from there on into Ilkeston for lunch at the Queens Counsel pub on the Market Place (provided courtesy of RC of Ilkeston.)  

Some interesting photos were taken of my feet - to be found on the walk Facebook page - and a caption competition ensued.

After lunch and with a couple of changes to the walkers we launched into the second half of the day, called first at Ron Brooks Toyota, to say hello, to some good friends of Rotary.  After that it was onto the canal that led us straight into the heart of Long Eaton.     Interesting sights along the way included a pair of swans nesting with their cygnets in the garden of a house that backed onto the canal.

The weather today was warm again, too warn for long distance walking (for me anyway) but we arrived at our destination, Cafe Zing at spot on 5pm, our estimated arrival time.

Thanks once again today go to my wife Gail and Owen's partner Carey for staffing the back-up car and feeding us regularly with muffins, mars bars and water.

There was no chance of an early night tonight as we had to get straight back home, shower change and prepare to attend the District Rotary Young Musicians' Concert at the Darwin Suite at the Assembly Rooms.    As always a really well organised event, but with a somewhat less than usual turnout.   (Let's hope it was just a blip ! )   The youngsters who performed all did really well and some exceptional talent was yet again on display.

I made (at least) one mistake during the evening - that was climbing up onto the stage.  A mistake because getting down was much more difficult and did cause some merriment in the audience.   By this time my feet were even more sore and the muscles in my legs were tightening up nicely.

Back home before midnight, when I relaxed with a quick whisky (just the one mind you) before turning in for a short night's sleep.

A great day overall - thanks to all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment