Thursday 20 September 2012

Better Late than Never

Well now I know that someone is reading my blog, as I have just had an email to say that I hadn't published anything about my recent visit to the joint meeting of Wirksworth and Matlock Rotary Clubs - so I will put that right straight away with sincere apologies to all concerned!!

On Thursday, 13th September I went to the Walthan House Restaurant, in Wirksworth, where the two clubs were having a joint meeting.   David Soul from the Rotary Club of Belper and Duffield had been good enough to act as my driver for the night and we arrived in good time, to find the restaurant filling up nicely.  There were about forty persons present.

The President of the Wirksworth club, John Dolan was in the chair with the Matlock President, Peter Wigglesworth, playing a supporting role on this occasion.

During the course of the evening mention was made that the oldest known Rotarian in the UK, one Reg Dean, an honorary Rotarian was not able to be with us this evening.  He was feeling a little under the weather and decided not to turn out.    He is due to celebrate his 110th birthday later this year so I suppose he can be forgiven.

I am sure we would all want to wish him well and hope that he enjoys the birthday celebrations in a month or so.

After a really tasty meal and the usual club business I addressed the two clubs on the theme of "Peace Through Service."    Everyone present seemed to enjoy the talk - well at least no-one fell asleep.

l to right - AG John Shipman, Pres. Peter Wigglesworth, Matlock, DG Dave, President John Dolan, Wirksworth
Many thanks to everyone at Matlock and Wirksworth for the welcome I received and thanks also to David Soul for driving.     I am now looking forward to receiving an invitation to attend Reg's 110th birthday bash.

No comments:

Post a Comment