Wednesday 19 September 2012

Inspiring night at Wollaton Park 19th September

This evening saw me making my official visit to the Rotary Club of Wollaton Park.  This was the 48th club I have visited since I started as District Governor on 1st July and with just nine more clubs, plus my own, to see over coming weeks.

Gail accompanied me as driver tonight and we were both very warmly received and entertained by President Mike Lucas and the other members of Wollaton Park.

Apart from ourselves several other visitors were present including Rotarians Caroline and Derek Rossin from Newark Castle.   Caroline was receiving a cheque on behalf of Rainbows Hospice. (Rainbows Hospice, together with Bluebell Wood Hospice are the two charities that I have given my support to this year)  A fundraiser, Oliver, from the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society collected cheques for a total of over £6,000  and a potential new member was also attending her first meeting at the club.

After a pork steak meal and bread and butter pudding (very tasty indeed) there was the presentation of cheques.  Prior to asking me to address the club, President Mike, asked for a one minute silence in respect for the two fallen policewomen from Greater Manchester who gave the ultimate "Service Above Self".  

I then talked about my attendance at the RI Assembly in San Diego and the Rotary International theme for 2012-13 - "Peace Through Service".





I would like to thank Gail for driving this evening and I would also like to thank President Mike and the members of the club for receiving us with such a spirit of true friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment