Tuesday 10 July 2012

Club Visits 10th July

The Rotary Club of Dronfield

After my visit to Drone Valley yesterday, today I was back up the motorway to the Rotary Club of Dronfield's weekly lunchtime meeting at the Sandpiper Restaurant at Unstone.  In company with Rtn. John Frankland from my club we arrived safe and well and  in good time after driving through a pretty horrific rainstorm that left  a lot of standing water on the roads.

We were greeted by President Michael Whetton and other members of the club who all made as feel very welcome.   There were several other faces that I knew well including Tony Bethell, Andy Ledbetter and Alan Hepworth who incidentally was the Club President when I completed a round the District Cycle ride some four years ago and in fact he rode with me for some time, despite only recently having undergone knee surgery - they make em tough up north !

After a very tasty chicken pie dinner I was invited to speak.  I addressed the assembled audience on the theme for this Rotary year, "Peace through Service".       The meeting ended about 2pm and John and I made our way back to Belper.

My thanks to John for driving in such attrocious conditions, to Present Michael and the members of the Rotary Club of Dronfield for the warmth of their welcome and the interest shown in what I had to say.

President Michael with Rotary Club of Dronfield's display boards


The Rotary Clubs of Alfreton, Amber Valley and Ripley

As now seems to be their normal practice the Alfreton, Amber Valley and Ripley clubs held a joint meeting to entertain the District Governor on his official visit.    On this occasion Alfreton acted as hosts and the meeting was held at The Boundary at South Normanton.

Presidents Colin Fox (Alfreton) David Hickton (Amber Valley) and Marie Adams (Ripley) shared the top table with Owen Briggs, Sgt at Arms,  myself and Gail who was my driver for the evening.

With in excess of 50 Rotarians from the three clubs present the atmostphere in the room was extremely warm and friendly, with Gail and I being made really welcome as always.

Rotarian Stuart Rice (Ripley) managed (as always) to get himself fined for interupting the Sgt at Arms to tell him that the S at A sash was clearly made for someone of a lesser stature than Owen himself.  By the end of the evening Stuart was not the only person to be fined for alleged misdemeanors.    My thanks to everyone who happily paid up as the cash raised was given to me for distribution to the charity of my choice.      I shall in fact split it between two charities, The Bluebell Wood Hospice and the Rainbows Hospice, which I have said will receive my support during my year in office as the District Governor.

Many thanks to the three Presidents and all the members of the clubs for making the visit so enjoyable and of course to Gail for accompanying me.

(L to R) Presidents David, Colin and Marie displaying their origami cranes with DG Dave

Hon. Rtn. George Lowe (100 years and still going strong) with Rtn Stuart Rice 

DG Dave with Rtn Kevin Doyle and Rtn Alan Kenny


No comments:

Post a Comment