Monday 23 July 2012

Derby & Nottingham 23rd July

At lunchtime, incompany with Rtn John Lowe, I attended the meeting of the Rotary Club of Derby, held at the Derbyshire County Cricket Ground.   The setting was beautiful, with groundstaff preparing the pitch for a forthcoming game.

Everyone enjoying lunch

Handing over letter and origami crane
We sat down for lunch promptly at 12.40pm.   President Tim Wherlywas an excellent host and conversation around the table was varies and enjoyable.   John brought greetings from President Graham of the Belper and Duffield Club.  I gave my talk to the club and the meeting ended, again promptly, at 2pm.

After doing some work and paying an overdue visit to my sister, Jennifer and her husband Bob in the afternoon I made my way to the centre of Nottingham for  the meeting of the oldest Club in the District, The Rotary Club of Nottingham, who I was proudly and reliably informed are six weeks older than Derby.   Nottingham meet in the Crowne Plaza Hotel where they eat in one of the restaurants and then move to a meeting room to conduct their business. 

President Peter was an excellent host, making me most welcome.   After giving my talk I answered several questions from the floor before we said the final toast.   After the meeting I accompanied several members to The Heart and Hand pub on Derby Road for a pint of real ale, which, with the heat of the day went down very well.

Relaxing with a pint of real ale.

My thanks to the members of both clubs for making me so welcome and to Rt. John Lowe for accompanying me and acting as driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment