Monday 16 July 2012

Visit to Long Eaton 16th July

After some glorious sunshine on Sunday, it was back to the usual weather today, rain and more rain.   However it did not dampen the enthusiasm for my visit to the Rotary Club of Long Eaton at Cleve Lodge in the town.     Long Eaton meet at lunchtimes as I believe they have always done.   Prior to today they had 34 members, but after inducting two new members today, this figure went up to 36.

Rotarian Peter James kindly drove me again today and in fact is taking me to the RC of Clay Cross on Thursday - He must really like my talk.

On arrival at the club we were met by a number of members and made very welcome.    President Graham also greeted us in similar fashion.    There is certainly no shortage of Rotary Fellowship here.

Long Eaton is one of a relatively small band of clubs that enjoy a three course meal, which I have to say was extremely tasty and most efficiently served and cleared by the staff of Cleve Lodge.     After the meeting a few matters of business were dealt with before President Graham had the privilege to induct not one, but two new members.

First on the list was Rotarian Kevin Miller, a politician, followed closely by Rotarian Christopher John Bowley, an anaesthetist.    They were warmly welcomed into the club by members of the club and myself.

Unfortunately immediately following his induction Rtn Kevin had to leave early for other pressing business.

Following on from the inductions President Graham invited me to address the Club.   I gave my talk to the club, following my usual pattern, presenting President Graham with a letter from RI President Sakuji and an origami crane.  (The significance will become apparent when I make my visit to your own club.)

Rotarian John with his sponsor

DG Dave with President Graham
(What a posh chain!!)
The meeting broke up at 2.20pm and within a very short space of time all the members had left and the room  was set up for its next function.  My thanks to all at Long Eaton for making me so welcome and to Peter James for driving me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment