Wednesday 4 July 2012

In the Heart of Derbyshire 4th July

Wednesday morning saw Gail and I set off for visits to two Rotary Clubs in the heart of Derbyshire.  The weather was miserable with rain falling steadily.     After arriving in Bakewell and eventually finding a parking spot, we saw the unfamiliar sight of the sun peering through the clouds - perhaps summer is on its way.    President Richard Carter presided over the lunchtime meeting of the Bakewell club at the Rutland Hotel. After the meal and some items of business I talked to the club about "Peace through Service" and how it is present in the projects and activities we do.

Gail and I were both made most welcome by the club and I met up with some old friends, including Joyce Buxton who is a stalwart at RYLA.   Thanks to Richard and all the members for the warmth of their welcome.
Lots of fellowship at the meeting


Formal greeting with President Richard



Handing over the letter from RI President Sakuji
Once we had left the Bakewell Club Gail and I spent some free time having a wander around Bakewell and Buxton, before driving over to The Grouse at Longshaw for the evening meeting of the Rotary Club of Hope Valley.  We were met at the door by President Allen Hutchinson and were immediately made to feel most welcome by the club members.   The club has a very relaxed and informal approach to its Rotary - which I found most refreshing.

I was invited to speak straight after the meal.  As with my two previous visits to Clubs I presented the President with an origami crane and a letter signed by the RI President Sakuji Tanaka. 



A friendly, relaxed atmosphere

It was "that" big
Tomorrow sees me off to visit the Rotary Clubs of Bingham and the Vale of Belvoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment